An electric bike, also known as an e-bike, has all of the features of a standard bike plus an electrical drive system.
While e-bikes are slightly heavier and bigger than ordinary bikes due to the added motor, they shouldn’t be confused with electric motorcycles or scooters, which are quite different. Electric bikes still need to be shifted, steered, and pedalled like any other bicycle. The only difference is that they have a small engine, which helps make pedaling a lot easier. As such, having reasonable balance and handling to ensure the bike stays upright is a basic requirement for riders.
What are the benefits of using an electric bike?
1. They’re efficient and eco-friendly. Just like riding a conventional bike, e-bikes offer environmental benefits as they are a more sustainable means of transportation compared to gas-powered vehicles. Since they are powered by rechargeable batteries and do not burn any fuel, e-bikes do not release harmful gases into the environment.
2. Easy to use. Electric bikes, such as the Fiido D2S are quick to master and make bike riding easier without really taking away from the exploratory, fun-filled spirit of a bike touring trip.
3. They are a good equalizer for people with different levels of stamina and strength. With a little bit of exertion, even the weakest of riders can confidently face headwinds and rough terrain, things that would considerably slow them down on a normal bike. Simply put, electric bikes make touring more appealing and a lot easier for more people. While many people would love to be active and enjoy the landscapes and sights that are accessible during a bike tour, not many have the strength or stamina needed to go on a multi-day cycling tour. For those with physical restrictions such as back or joint pain, the boost that pedal-assist motors have to offer can help reduce strain while making the riding experience even more pleasurable.
4. They make bike riding even more fun. Choosing an electric bike could mean a more hassle-free bike ride where you get to spend more of your time enjoying the scenery along the way than huffing and puffing. Ebikes simply add ease and extra comfort on the trails.
5. They serve as an added safety net. Since e-bikes lessen the impact on your joints and reduce much of the strain exerted on your legs than regular bikes, they are the perfect solution for you if you have a physical condition or injury. Ebikes allow cyclists to stay active and have fun regardless of their physical limitations.
6. An e-bike allows users to achieve their goals, and some more! Some cycling routes can be very hard to complete on a normal bike, especially for newbie touring cyclists. However, with an e-bike, conquering such routes shouldn’t be that difficult.
Who would an electric bike benefit the most?
Built with simple operation and comfort in mind, and with designs suited for all types of people, e-bikes make it easy for cycling enthusiasts to enjoy the ride without having to worry about the strain associated with riding a bicycle. These bikes make touring trips a more viable option for everyone, regardless of their fitness level.
If you are new to cycling holidays and road cycling, aren’t yet an avid cyclist, or don’t know if you will be able to endure the cycling trail, then consider getting an electric bike.
Would you like to tackle some of the tough climbs on your cycling route? Then an e-bike is what you need as it offers you the extra boost you need to reach the summit.
If you are recovering from an injury or have joint issues, then the added support and boost e-bikes have to offer help reduce the strain on joints and legs far better than traditional bikes.
Choosing an e-bike is the best option for anyone concerned about their physical capabilities or fitness. These bikes allow people of varying cycling experience, fitness, and health levels to enjoy cycling together without too much of an effort.
Why are electric bikes more expensive than regular bikes?
The inclusion of a motor and the fact that the bike requires more maintenance means that buying an e-bike will cost you more than a normal bike. So, if the added ease and support that an electric bike has to offer appeals to you, then why not invest in it?